3 c. vegetable stock
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
1 can (28 oz) of whole tomatoes (preferably San Marzano or other Italian)
1 c. cream or half-and-half
Optional: fresh thyme sprigs (not a lot – about ½ t worth if you pulled them off the stem)
- Put 2 T olive (or other) oil in heavy-bottomed soup pan and turn on heat to medium. Add onion and carrot, S&P, stir and sauté for about 5 minutes until onion is cooked but not brown. (You don’t want uncooked onion because it won’t continue cooking much in the tomatoes later.)
- Add canned tomatoes (without bothering to break them up) and thyme if using. Leave at medium heat until tomatoes bubble, stirring often with a wooden spoon, and breaking up the tomatoes a bit each time you stir.
- After about 10-15 minutes when tomatoes look like they are breaking down a bit, add warmed stock and stir. Add in cream.
- Run your soup through a food mill, or puree carefully in blender, or stick a stick blender into the pot. Taste for S&P.
- Serve as is or with croutons. Bon Appetit!