There are a lot of stuffed mushrooms recipes out there, and they are rightly popular. Similar to deviled eggs, they are always a welcome sight at parties. They consist of sautéed chopped mushrooms stems (and extra caps, if you have them), breadcrumbs, garlic, parmesan, parsley, and I like sausage. To bind everything, I successfully used cream cheese, and did not load up on bread crumbs. I added an egg yolk, ’cause we were already down the high cholesterol road what with the sausage and cream cheese, might as well go whole hog.
crimini mushrooms — 3- 10 oz packages, or thereabouts
italian sausage links — about 3 chubby ones, removed from casing, and CHOPPED
bread crumbs — about 1/3 c
parmesan — about 1/4 c
garlic — 3-5 cloves, minced
fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
cream cheese — about 4 oz (I prefer Philadelphia brand), full fat
1 egg yolk
- Prepare mushrooms by rinsing, and divide stems from caps, trimming off bottoms of stems. Keep stems separate from caps. If you have some extra mushrooms, chop them too.
- Sauté sausage, perhaps in some olive oil, if needed. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms, fresh thyme sprigs, and garlic. When done, remove thyme sprigs (which should have shed their leaves into the cooked mushrooms). Return sausage to pan, or put all into another bowl.
- Mix in: bread crumbs, parmesan, parsley, S&P, and about 1/2 large package cream cheese, and 1 egg yolk. (or save some parsley to sprinkle on top of cooked mushrooms after oven baking).
- Mix and refrigerate up to 1 day. Refrigerate caps separately.
- Before your party, remove mushrooms and filling to come to room temp. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place mushroom caps on baking sheet, perhaps with a bit of olive oil on the bottom and as you place caps on tray, rub a little olive oil onto what will now become their bottoms, (or toss them in bowl with a bit of olive oil) and place on baking tray.
- Stuff mushrooms with filling, and bake about 15 minutes or until they look done. With this large quantity, I baked in two batches so that they could stay hot.
Just try to get them all to the serving dish! If your party is like mine, people will be standing waiting for them to be removed from the oven.
Let me know YOUR favorite stuffed mushroom technique!