lasagna noodles, 1 # (I like Barilla brand)
butternut squash — 1 or 2
whole milk, 1 quart
heavy cream, 1 c (Please try to find NON ultra-pasteurized cream)
swiss chard, 1-2 bunches
ricotta, 1 #
fontina, 1/2#, freshly grated
Parmesan, ~4oz, freshly grated
garlic, 2 cloves
room temp butter to grease baking pan
Parts of the whole:
lasagne noodles, 1 #, boiled and drained onto sprayed sheet pan
Roasted butternut squash, puréed w/ heavy cream
Steamed/parboiled swiss chard, with S&P & nutmeg
Cheese mixture: ricotta, fontina, egg, etc (see below)
Bechamel: milk and aromatics steeped for 1/2 hour, then cooked for 20 minutes
Roast butternut squash:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and cut squash into slices 1/3” thick. Toss in bowl with olive oil to coat, S&P. Roast 20 minutes until soft, turning half way through.
When cool, purée in food processor with a bit of heavy cream.
Turn oven down to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare cheese mixture: Grate parmesan and fontina cheeses and place in separate bowls. In medium bowl mix together:
Heavy cream to loosen
1 egg, mixed first
3. Cook Swiss chard: Tear leaves off stems and put into large bowl. Rinse and drain twice. Heat 1/2 c water in large pot and put in chard and S&P, and cook covered about 3 minutes until wilted. Drain.
4. Infuse milk for béchamel:
Heat 4 cup whole milk to almost boiling. Put in: 1 shallot, chopped, 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped, 1 bay leaf, 2 garlic cloves, chopped. Infuse for 1/2 hour, off heat and covered. Strain into another container that is perhaps pourable.
5. Cook lasagne noodles and drain and place on sprayed sheet pan to cool.
6. Make béchamel: Melt 6 T butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add 6 T flour and stir constantly until mixture gets golden, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in milk in 1/2 c increments, and then pour in remainder of milk and cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes until thickens slightly, stirring with whisk occasionally. Keep warm.
butter 9×13” pan. Lay in: 1/2 c bechamel, then noodles, cutting to fit and overlapping slightly. Lay in 1/2 squash, cheese, béchamel, and repeat with: noodles, Swiss chard, cheese, béchamel; noodles, squash, cheese, béchamel and then parmesan on top.
Place buttered/sprayed parchment paper buttered side down on top of lasagna, and then lightly lay on aluminum foil. Bake covered 40 minutes.
Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes until bubbling. Turn on broiler and broil for about 5 minutes until golden.
Remove from oven and let rest for at least 20 minutes before cutting into squares.
Optional add-ins — Caramelized onions; sautéed mushrooms
Substitute spinach, broccoli rabe or arugula for Swiss chard
Cook greens and refrigerate or hold at room temp for a few hours
Roast and purée squash
Mix cheese mixture
Freeze prepared lasagna for up to one month before cooking. Defrost overnight in refrigerator before baking.